Home              Programme                What to Bring                Contact Us                  Members Information                                     © 2014 Burton Rambling Club

Burton Rambling Club

Walks in Staffordshire, Derbyshire,
the National Forest and the Peak District

Footpath Problems

When you’re out walking you’ll sometimes come across a style blocked by barbed wire or a broken stile or an overgrown hedge obstructing a footpath, or there might be a bridge over a stream that is impassable. Occasionally you might be blocked from walking on access land.

In England and Wales it’s the responsibility of the local council to make sure paths and access land are open  for walkers to use.

The organisation responsible for maintaining public rights of way is called the Highway Authority. In practice, this is the county council or unitary authority.

If you've spotted a problem you can report it, on-line, directly to your local council.

For Staffordshire footpath problems click here

For Derbyshire footpath problems, click here

For Leicestershire footpath problems, click here.  Choose Rights of Way from the list supplied.

If you are a member of the Ramblers Association you can also contact them for help.